Who could have guessed that the oil from a tropical fruit could have such an enormous impact on our high tech society? There are 15 amazing coconut oil benefits for everyone, which are making an enormous impact in a world where health care costs are spiraling out of control.
For thousands of years people have maintained their health through the foods they eat, herbs, spices and the extraction of oils. An oil, which is particularly potent for maintaining overall health and for curing a number of health conditions, is coconut oil.
What Is Coconut Oil?
Coconut oil is extracted from the fruit produced by the coconut palm in the tropical regions of the world. The meat is either extracted via a wet process, which allows it to be consumed or a dry process that is typically used for making creams and oils for cosmetic uses. Coconut oil is sometimes fractionated in order to isolate compounds that are used in medical treatments.
Extracting Coconut Oil
Until recently, coconut oil has been maligned because of its high content of saturated fat, but as more research is being done and better extraction methods are being made use of, more and more health conscious individuals are coming around. Extraction methods for coconut oil are an important factor in the benefits that can be gained from the use of coconut oil. Here is a brief list of those methods:
- Refined. Refined, bleached, and deodorized (RBD) oil is made from the dried meat of the coconut and is pressed through a heated, hydraulic press. It is not fit for consumption due to the high amount of contamination.
- Hydrogenated. RBD oil is further processed by heating and adding unsaturated fats and combining them with hydrogen in a catalytic process. This produces the maligned oil mentioned earlier.
- Pressed. Coconut meat, milk or pulp is squeezed through the use of a cold screw press to extract what is known as virgin coconut oil or extra-virgin coconut oil or a centrifuge is used to draw the oil away from the milk and meat.
More than 1500 studies have uncovered the benefits of the medium chain fatty acids (MFCA’s) contained in coconut oil known as:
- Caprylic acid.
- Lauric acid.
- Capric acid.
These coconut oil benefits, which we will be discussing in the section below, come from cold-pressed, virgin or extra-virgin coconut oil, especially where the benefit comes from the consumption of coconut oil, but are also beneficial in external applications.
15 Amazing Coconut Oil Benefits for Everyone
1. Weight Loss
Weight loss through an increased metabolic rate and decreased appetite, according to a Boston University Medical School study, are coconut oil benefits.
2. Oral Care
Getting rid of oral bacteria through oil pulling with coconut oil can significantly reduce your risk of periodontal diseases.
3. Improves Type II Diabetes
There are coconut oil benefits in helping cells balance their reaction to insulin and the reduced strain it has on the pancreas.
4. Osteoporosis Prevention
Oxidative stress, free radicals and decreased calcium absorption all contribute to osteoporosis. The reversals of these processes, shown in an NCBI study, are also coconut oil benefits.
5. Skin Conditions
Caprylic acid and Lauric acid in coconut oil reduce inflammation and moisturize your skin adding another layer to coconut oil benefits.
6. Stomach Ulcers and Ulcerative Colitis
The acidity of candida is a major cause in both of these conditions. Coconut oil benefits sufferers of stomach ulcers and ulcerative colitis by killing candida and help their bodies to better absorb essential vitamins and minerals.
7. Prevention of Heart Disease
According to Harvard Health, due to its natural saturated fats, coconut oil benefits those who have an increased risk of heart disease.
8. Improved Energy and Endurance
Most athletes are well aware of how coconut oil benefits energy and endurance from a sustained energy boost that isn’t found in most sources.
9. Improved Memory and Brain Function
Another way coconut oil benefits our bodies is through improved brain function due to the fact that MCFA’s are a more efficient fuel for brain cells.
10. Immune System Booster
Due to its lauric acid content, coconut oil benefits the immune system because it is naturally antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral.
11. Cancer Prevention
Cancer cells tend to be dependent on glucose and are unable to access the energy in the ketones found in coconut oil. For this reason, coconut oil benefits cancer prevention and patient recovery.
12. Hormone Balance
Hormone balance and the positive effect it has on estrogen levels are additional coconut oil benefits.
13. Reducing Inflammation
The MCFA’s in coconut oil also help reduce inflammation and relieve symptoms of arthritis, according to a study in India.
14. Protects Liver from Drug Toxins
Another study indicates that coconut oil benefits liver function by protecting it from the toxins found in drugs.
15. Treatment for Alzheimer’s
Ketones found in coconut oil help the brains of Alzheimer’s patients recover their vitality, according to studies in US Centers for Disease Control.
A Note of Caution
How our bodies react to different substances can vary from one person to the next. To say that coconut oil has no side effects at all would be misleading. By and large, it has very limited and very mild side effects, but be aware of a few, such as:
- Diarrhea-like symptoms because it loosens stools.
- Acne can become worse before it gets better.
- Candida kill-off symptoms. As candida is killed off, it releases up to 80 different toxins with side effects like nausea, headache, dizziness, fatigue, swollen glands, joint or muscle pain, stomach upset, chills, hives or rashes. These symptoms are part of what is known as a healing crisis. It is similar to the withdrawal symptoms from a narcotic.
- Coconut oil is sometimes processed where other allergy causing foods like peanuts are also processed.
By and large, coconut oil is safe and effective for nearly everyone.
Wrapping It Up
As consumers become more and more educated on preventive medicine and a holistic approach to wellness, coconut oil’s demand is increasing. Its medium chain fatty acids are being made more accessible to the general public through the production of cold-pressed virgin and extra-virgin coconut oil. Research is ongoing as to the benefits of this amazing tropical fruit, but as it continues, more and more positive benefits are being seen. Give coconut oil a try and see what great benefits you reap.
Image sources: depositphotos.com.