A lot of times we sabotage ourselves because of self-doubt, low self-esteem or feelings of low self-worth. These feelings, along with other negative thoughts we tell ourselves over and over again, can directly contribute to our poor health, heightened stress levels, financial failures and overeating.
Changing these thoughts and beliefs takes action on your part. You have remind yourself to recognize and correct any self-criticism or doubt and make a decision to believe in yourself 100%. Once you do that, amazing things will happen.
These feelings are the common denominator to many negative situations that appear in our lives; whether you’re blocked from getting your financial life in order, unable to achieve your ideal body weight or are feeling stagnant in a relationship. Self-doubt can paralyze you. When the body tenses and freezes up due to your overwhelming thoughts of inferiority you can’t think clearly nor get in touch with your intuitive wisdom, which is a very powerful tool.
I spoke with Nicola Walker, author of the upcoming book “Finding Joy in the Middle of the Mess”, and she believes there are 5 common situations that are often triggered by self-doubt. They are:
- Financial pressures. When you doubt your ability to provide for yourself or your family survival fears kick in.
- Fear of failure and fear of not getting what you need or want.
- Fear of not being good enough, comparing yourself to others and worrying about what others think.
- Procrastinating and being easily distracted. This happens when you doubt yourself so much that you develop inertia and can’t change the situation you’re so fearful of.
- Fear of actually having what you want and expressing or exposing the real you.
I want to look at that last item, the fear of success. A lot of people feel that they can’t really have or deserve what they really want. They think they’re not good enough or don’t deserve success. They often feel they aren’t that unique and may be “found out” if they become successful. They also worry what other less successful family members or friends might think of them once they become truly abundant in any area of their life.
You must say to yourself that “I can have what I want and I deserve what I want”.
Once you feel free from your negative thoughts and feelings and become more confident you will be amazed at the way your life will transform. You’ll feel more joyful every day, your marriage will improve, you’ll eliminate depression, your passion for your business will grow and you’ll start to achieve your goals, whether personal or professional, all by changing your thoughts.
Although change will happen, it doesn’t happen overnight. You must be committed to overcoming self-doubt and be arduous in catching yourself whenever you slip up or begin doubting any area of your life. If you struggle with self-doubt and fears there are some steps you can take right now to start getting out of that cycle.
- Commitment. You have to be committed to change your thoughts and leaving your old story of self-doubt behind.
- Awareness by catching yourself when negative thoughts begin to emerge. When this happens, write the negative thoughts down and ask yourself if this thought is really true.
- Self-care and joy. Be kind to yourself; keep your joy alive by keeping your heart open. Make time to do the things you enjoy and enjoy simple pleasures.
The first and most important step you must take to realize the benefits of eliminating all negative thoughts and feelings from your life begins with commitment. You have to start somewhere and it may not be easy, it can be uncomfortable at first, but you will see the rewards.
You need to stop self-sabotaging behaviors especially when it comes to your health. So many people know what steps they should be taking but they feel paralyzed or blocked. When this happens you’re not being your true authentic self. You’re not living up to who you can be and it’s all because of self-doubt.
If you see yourself in any of the common situations that often trigger self-doubt start taking the action steps provided to eliminate these fears and take control of your life today.