Promoting wellness in the Far East has been a priority for thousands of years. A common component in Asian diets has been a nutrient dense type of green algae known as chlorella. Because of its broad nutritional profile the list of chlorella benefits and the way that they improve or prevent health issues is a long one.
We will discuss those aspects in detail. Below we will show you 10 proven chlorella benefits and instruct you on how to use it in order to obtain the best results.
The Nutritional Value of Chlorella
As you might have seen, chlorella is a powerful food due to its nutritional content. A 1 ounce serving of chlorella provides the following nutrient values and daily values (DV):
- Protein: 16 grams;
- Vitamin A: 287% DV;
- Iron: 202% DV;
- Vitamin B2: 71% DV;
- Vitamin B3: 33% DV;
- Zinc: 133% DV;
- Magnesium: 22% DV.
Chlorella is so nutrient dense that it leads all green vegetables in nutrient density and is ranked in the top ten healthiest foods. With this lineup of nutritional power it is no wonder that there are so many proven chlorella benefits.
Top 10 Chlorella Benefits to Boost Your Health
10. Works as a High Antioxidant
- Six phenolic compounds contribute to its high concentration of antioxidants. So the chlorella benefits act on your body every day.
- An Italian study notes that there are significant antioxidant activities associated with chlorella supplementation.
9. Excellent for Heavy Metal Detox
- Research in Mexico indicates that another of the major chlorella benefits is associated with heavy metal detoxification.
- According to the study, this algae has a discriminatory mechanism that allows it to choose between non-essential and essential heavy metals, which aids in purification.
8. Increases Immunity
- Increase immunity is also among the many chlorella benefits.
- Studies in Korea reported an increase in killer cell activity as well as an early inflammatory response.
- This means that both the above stimulate the immune system and its function.
7. Aids Digestion
- Another of the excellent chlorella benefits is associated with its probiotic properties as an aid to digestion.
- Iranian researchers noted that chlorella improved the viability of probiotic cultures in fermented dairy products like yogurt and kumis.
6. Lowers Cholesterol
- Lowering your cholesterol levels is yet among the proven chlorella benefits, which turn it into a natural medicine.
- Research conducted in Taiwan indicated that the LDL and triglyceride levels of test subjects reduced after chlorella supplementation. They had a chronic high fat diet over a period of several weeks.
5. Keeps Skin Healthy
- Nihon University in Japan points to another of the several chlorella benefits as it relates to skin health.
- The study reported that supplementation with chlorella on test subjects with induced skin irritants reduced in the inflammatory response. Consequently, this inhibited tumor formation in the skin cells.
4. Promotes Weight Loss and Fat Reduction
- Topping the list of chlorella benefits for many would be its ability to promote weight loss and fat reduction.
- Japanese studies showed a significant reduction of serum lipids, which cause fatty deposits, as well as a decrease in body weight in test subjects supplemented with chlorella.
3. Regulates Blood Sugar
- Regulating your blood sugar is one of the chlorella benefits that should grab your attention. This plant has the ability to maintain body health.
- Research in Taiwan reported improved insulin sensitivity and a decrease in blood glucose uptake in diabetic test subjects. Before the test, they took chlorella as a dietary supplement.
2. Improves Cognitive Function
- Japanese researchers report other memorable chlorella benefits on with improved cognitive function.
- Chlorella reduces oxidative stress, which is a major contributor to age related cognitive decline.
- This indicates that that prolonged chlorella supplementation has great potential in preventing the progression of cognitive decline.
1. Offers Patient Support During Radiation and Chemotherapy Treatments
- Among the most impressive chlorella benefits is its use in patient support during radiation and chemotherapy treatments.
- Researchers at Virginia Commonwealth University indicated that the use of chlorella during these treatments has plenty of benefits.
- The main ones are that it helps to maintain normal immune function, quality of life and livability of the patients under treatment.
How to Use Chlorella for Best Results
With such a potent superfood at your fingertips, it is best to know exactly how to use it in order to get the most benefit from it. The typical dosage ranges between 3 and 10 grams daily. You should take it in the form of powder, tablet or capsule. Chlorella is also available in liquid form and you can take a dosage of 4 to 10 milliliters daily.
Negative side effects are few and non life threatening. They can include:
• Stomach cramps;
• Sun sensitivity.
You can prevent most of these side effects by starting with a smaller dose and building up to a higher dosage. Also, you can use chlorella safely for up to two months with no long-term effects on overall health. However, the greater concern of side effects of chlorella supplements typically relates to how the product is grown. Specialists look at its purity and the method of processing. Be sure to read labels and research the source of the supplement before purchasing in order to get the best results.
When using chlorella or any other dietary supplement in therapeutic volumes, it is best to consult with a health care professional. This way, you have full information of possible side effects or interactions with other medications you are taking.
But What Is Chlorella?
Chlorella is a fresh water algae that is native to Taiwan and Japan. Moreover, it has a high concentration of chlorophyll. Specialists consider it a superfood because of its rich phytonutrient properties. It is pretty similar to spirulina, another wonder-plant.
Its nutritional value encouraged researchers in the 1940s and 1950s to look to it as a potential remedy for food shortages and malnutrition. Also, chlorella never developed into the answer to the world food supply. However, many recognize it as a top nutritional supplement.
There are plenty of chlorella benefits that scientific research backs up. This is to encourage you to include it into your health and wellness regimen. When you use it properly, this powerful superfood helps you prevent or relieve the effects of a number of severe health conditions.
Make use of chlorella and begin to reap the rewards today! Don’t forget to tell us your success stories and/or add your questions and comments in the section below.